This past Friday we had another smash hit at Silver’s Academy: My good friend Rommel Ruiz took on dynamic and challenging poses from Jack Kirby’s super heroes, once again.
We all had the chance to draw each pose for 3 minutes, and the rotate around our model, so that we get a 360 degree view. With music from epic movies playing in the background, as well as the camaraderie from other artist, this is one of my favorite way to spend a Friday Night.
Below are some pictures and drawings from the event:
This past Tuesday 6/24 was a total blast: From 7pm to 10pm I was at the Uninstructed Figure Drawing Night at Silver’s Academy in Sun Valley, CA. Our talented model “Mark” posed for us in all his expressiveness in poses ranging from one to 8 minutes.
Classic rock tunes blasting from the speakers at the academy, set the vibe for an awesome night. During breaks, we had a chance to munch on mini-doughnuts, cookies as well meeting other talented artists.
Below are some of the drawings that survived an accidental spill of beverage I had – better be more careful when bringing protein shake to a drawing session! 🙂
This past Friday June 13th I attended my very first Figure Drawing from Top to Bottom with Karl Gnass class, which runs from June to September at the American Animation Institute in Burbank, CA.
We had a packed classroom with 28 of us, drawing our female model Linette, in poses lasting 2 mins, 3 mins and 5mins.
Highlights from Week 1:
- It’s of primary importance to develop your own general model of the human figure, so that you can measure it against all models in front of you.
- When drawing from a model, you are not only copying, but rather telling a story based on:
- What you see
- What your imagination adds up
3 Stages of drawing:
- Gesture – Tell me a story in a few lines as possible, depicting landmarks for the 8 parts of the body (You do this using your intuition, like an idea).
- Formulation – This is the cerebral part, you add shape and volumes, check lengths and widths.
- Vocabulary – With your knowledge of anatomy, you trace the organic forms of the muscles and tissue.
3 ways to draw:
- Across the figure , with long lines of action
- Around the figure, drawing through your shapes
- Through the figure, becomes useful when drawing obstructed forms.
Throughout the day I had the chance to draw 41 poses, shown below: